Advances in Dental Implant Technology
Dental implants are not a new technology. In fact, archaeological evidence has shown that even ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians and Mayans were using bone, shells and precious metals to fabricate rudimentary teeth replacements; although these antique implants are a far cry from the technology we have today. What made the entire field of implantology possible was the discovery of the metal titanium’s ability to form a resilient bond with bone tissue. The process termed ‘osseointegration’ – as discovered by Swedish orthopedic surgeon Professor Per-Ingvar Brånemark in 1951 – made it possible for a tooth replacement to be permanently inserted in the jaw; one that was not only cosmetic in nature, but could function like a natural healthy tooth as well.
Since the 1950’s, incredible advancements in medical science, computer technology and treatment techniques now enable dental specialists to work nothing short of miracles using dental implants. Given the benefits and advantages of these ingenious teeth replacement devices, it is no wonder that they are the premier choice when it comes to restoring oral aesthetics, functionality and overall health.
MALO Dental Implants Facility
As a comprehensively-stocked dental implant facility, MALO Dental Implants features all the very latest cutting-edge technology used in the treatment of patients presenting with missing teeth. It is our ultimate goal to provide aesthetic and functional solutions for those that walk through our doors while maintaining an exceptional standard of patient care. Here, we use the most advanced designs in dental implants, which have been perfected by manufacturers to optimize their effectiveness and success. Some of the important features of this new dental implant technology include:
- Special coating technologies, which promote more effective and faster osseointegration with the underlying jaw bone. In the long term, this enables the implant to remain more firmly anchored in the jaw for several decades and even a lifetime if properly cared for.
- Advanced designs in the shape of the titanium base post of the dental implants allow for a greater ease of insertion and a stronger initial ‘fit’, which translates into less invasive procedures required for placement. Furthermore, this promotes long-term stability resilience, and the ability to attach teeth to the implants much sooner than in years past (in many cases, on the same day that the implants are placed).
- The latest designs in dental implant technology allow oral surgeons to replace teeth even in cases where patients present with advanced bone loss as a result of periodontal (gum) disease.
3D CAT Scan Technology
The MALO Dental Implants Facility boasts the latest in 3D CAT scan technology. Armed with this incredible insight into the structure of both the hard and soft tissues in the mouth, our team of specialists are able to:
- Accurately diagnose oral problems concerning tooth loss and the extent of the damage done by gum or periodontal disease,
- Plan a highly appropriate course of action to directly target these oral problems,
- Intimately plan the surgical placement of dental implants,
- Drastically minimize the invasive nature of the surgery, resulting in the need for fewer incisions and sutures,
- Place dental implants with minimal post-operative pain and discomfort for the patient, as well as a far quicker recovery period.
- Often Perform the entire procedure from start to finish in a single surgery, reducing the expense for the patient.
While 3D CAT scan technology has been used for several years by medical institutes, its employment in the field of dental science is a fairly recent development. Traditionally, dental implants were placed with only X-ray images to help dentists and specialists plan the procedure. Because 3D CAT scanners are incredibly expensive, few dental offices that offer dental implants are able to employ this incredibly useful technology. The MALO Dental Implants Facility, however, has invested in our own 3D CAT scanner, which puts us and you, the patient, at a distinct advantage above the rest.
New Dental Implant Techniques
The traditional ‘two-phase’ method employs in the placement of dental implants required patients to wait anywhere between three to twelve months before the aesthetic and functional tooth crown could be affixed to the top of the implant screw. This means that for this incredible length of time (and frequently longer, especially where bone grafting is required), patients are forced to wait up to a year and a half before they can enjoy the benefit of a fully restored smile and bite functionality. At MALO Dental Implants, we make use of the most advanced dental implant techniques. Thanks to the wonders of a 3D CAT scan and other innovations in the field of Implantology, we are often able to place the implant(s) and a provisional crown or bridge in a single procedure, and not in two stages as was previously done. This newer method has been shown to be more favorable to patients, who benefit from immediately functioning teeth!
Dr. Paulo Malo, Nobel Biocare and the ‘All-on-4’ Technique
The revolutionary ‘All-on-4’ dental implant technique is a procedure for comprehensive tooth replacement designed by Dr. Paulo Malo, founder and CEO of world renowned MALO CLINICS. He, together with the one of world’s leading dental implant manufacturers, Nobel Biocare, devised this technique in order to address the need for a far quicker and simpler solution to patients suffering from advanced periodontal disease and/or tooth loss. Single/multiple dental implants remain the best solution for missing teeth, however, many patients present such an acute case of disease, decay, infection and poor aesthetics that it becomes necessary for multiple, if not all of the remaining teeth to be extracted and replaced with dental implants. The problem with this is that often to receive dental implants requires months of preparation work, bone grafts, recovery and dental appointments before a single implant can even be inserted. Dr. Paulo Malo’s design was born out of the concept of a technique that could be executed in the space of a single day with minimal discomfort to the patient and results that were functionally and aesthetically breath-taking. The ‘All-on-4’ dental implant technique came to fruition in the early 1990s and has since been remodeling smiles in countries all over the world.
Advantages of the ‘All-on-4’ Teeth Replacement Technique
- Patients receive a full set of beautiful and immediately functional teeth in as little as a single dental appointment of only a few hours!
- The prosthetic bridge used in the ‘All-on-4’ is affixed to dental implants and so it is non-removable and presents none of the challenges and repeated costs associated with removable dentures or false teeth.
- The ‘All-on-4’ technique almost always bypasses the need for painful, costly and lengthy bone grafting surgery beforehand.
- Even patients presenting with advanced bone loss, tooth loss and periodontal (gum) disease are almost always candidates to receive new and immediately functional teeth.
- Patients having the ‘All-on-4’ procedure almost always leave the MALO Dental Implants Facility with teeth the same day!